Mentoring Young Scientists (MYS)
A Science Enrichment Program for Middle School Students
Mentoring Young Scientists is a grant-funded program that gives 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students who have a passion for science and nature the opportunity to study the marine environment. The MYS program year runs October-May with a total of 20 activity sessions during the year.
- Exploring the marine environment through boat excursions, beach walks, and seining trips
- Conducting experiments and observational studies
- Meeting scientists and visiting research labs
- Participating in recycling and shoreline clean-up projects
- Sharing information about the marine environment with Aquarium visitors
- Keeping a photo journal of the year's adventures
Twenty students are selected annually in September through an application and interview process. To learn more about the MYS program, contact Jovonne Vrechek at (757) 385-0331 or JVrechek@VirginiaAquarium.com.
Thank you to our sponsors