Mentoring Young Scientists (MYS)
A Science Enrichment Program for Middle School Students
Mentoring Young Scientists (MYS) is an award-winning, privately funded program that pairs science-enthusiastic 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students from all across Hampton Roads with adult mentors to study topics related to conservation of the marine environment. The MYS program year runs October-May with a total of twenty meetings that occur on Friday evenings and Saturdays.
- Exploring the marine environment through boat excursions, beach walks, and seining trips
- Conducting hands-on science experiments
- Meeting scientists and visiting research labs
- Participating in recycling and shoreline clean-up projects
- Sharing information about the marine enviornment with Aquarium visitors
Twenty MYS students are selected annually in September through a written application and interview process. To learn more about the MYS program, please contact Jovonne Vrechek at (757) 385-0331 or JVrechek@VirginiaAquarium.com.
MYS Information Session 2017-2018
- Friday, September 15th at 5:30 p.m. in the Marsh Pavilion
- Join us to learn more about this exciting program!
Thank you to our sponsors