The Virginia Aquarium recruits and hires most of their employees through the City of Virginia Beach using the WAVE website.
To search for job openings at the Aquarium, please refer to this website. Part time and full time job openings can be filtered under MUS & CULT ARTS AQUARIUM & MARINE SCIENCE CTR department in the search field.
For seasonal and select part time positions, please refer to job descriptions below:
- Part time; up to 24 hours including some weekend and evening; hours vary based on program demand; must be flexible.
- Bachelor’s degree in sciences (biology, environmental, marine, natural or life science), or education or a combination of education and relevant experience equivalent to four years; valid Virginia or North Carolina driver’s license; ability to lift at least 25 lbs.
- Individual will be responsible for presenting live animal K-12 Standards of Learning (SOL) programs, and special needs programs at schools located in the Hampton Roads area; will also be responsible for presenting toddler programs at preschools located in the Hampton Roads area; representing the Aquarium at festivals and other family events for general audiences. Programs require lifting of water and equipment for transport of marine animals, animal care, and animal handling. Training is provided. Must have excellent driving record.
- Excellent presentation and in-person customer service skills; ability to communicate effectively with staff, volunteers, students of all ages/developmental abilities, and general audiences; ability to handle tasks independently and detail-oriented; previous experience handling animals in program setting and background in science is a plus.
- How to Apply:
- Send resume and cover letter attention to Rachel Riesbeck, School and Youth Programs Specialist by email firstname.lastname@example.org, fax (757) 437-4976 or mail to Virginia Aquarium 717 General Booth Boulevard Virginia Beach, VA 23451 no later than 5:00 p.m. on September 1, 2017. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by September 7, 2017.