The Virginia Aquarium recruits and hires most of their employees through the City of Virginia Beach using the WAVE website.
To search for job openings at the Aquarium, please refer to this website. Part time and full time job openings can be filtered under MUS & CULT ARTS AQUARIUM & MARINE SCIENCE CTR department in the search field.
The Aquarium is hiring seasonal staff for the following positions:
Seasonal Horticulture Assistant
- Hours vary, some weekends required.
- Individual will assist the horticulture department with all aspects of nature trail and horticulture exhibit maintenance, including but not limited to; mulching, maintaining, and weeding plant and shrub beds, lawn areas, and walkways; pruning and trimming trees and shrubs; planting, raking, collecting and removing debris; operation of lawn mower, leaf blower, and weed eater. Loading and unloading tools, equipment, soil, gravel, and sand for project assignments; maintaining plants in an indoor environment; storm damage cleanup, and other horticultural duties as required.
- High school graduate or GED plus some outdoor work experience. Ability to use common gardening and hand tools. Ability to perform physical labor under various climate conditions for extended periods. Ability to bend and kneel for extended periods. Ability to use a backpack blower and string trimmer for extended periods. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Interact with staff, volunteers, and public in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Have a general knowledge of horticulture practices and a desire to learn. Knowledge of native Virginia plants is desirable, but not required. Horticulture experience is a plus.
- How to Apply:
- Please send a resume and cover letter to Dustie Bourgeois, Horticulturist by email to email@example.com, or postal mail to Virginia Aquarium, 717 General Booth Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA 23451.
- Part time; up to 24 hours including some weekend and evening; hours vary based on program demand; must be flexible.
- Individual will be responsible for presenting live animal K-12 Standards of Learning (SOL) programs, and special needs programs at schools located in the Hampton Roads area; will also be responsible for presenting toddler programs at preschools located in the Hampton Roads area; representing the Aquarium at festivals and other family events for general audiences. Programs require lifting of water and equipment for transport of marine animals, animal care, and animal handling. Training is provided. Must have excellent driving record.
- Bachelor’s degree in sciences (biology, environmental, marine, natural or life science), or education or a combination of education and relevant experience equivalent to four years; valid Virginia or North Carolina driver’s license; ability to lift at least 25 lbs.
- Excellent presentation and in person customer service skills; ability to communicate effectively with staff, volunteers, students of all ages/developmental abilities, and general audiences; ability to handle tasks independently and detail-oriented; previous experience handling animals in program setting and background in science is a plus.
- How to Apply:
- Send resume and cover letter attention to Rachel Riesbeck, School and Youth Programs Specialist by email firstname.lastname@example.org, fax (757) 437-4976 or postal mail to Virginia Aquarium, 717 General Booth Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA 23451