The Virginia Aquarium recruits and hires most of their employees through the City of Virginia Beach using the WAVE website.
To search for job openings at the Aquarium, please refer to this website. Part time and full time job openings can be filtered under MUS & CULT ARTS AQUARIUM & MARINE SCIENCE CTR department in the search field.
For seasonal and select part time positions, please refer to job descriptions below:
Seasonal Horticulture Assistant
- Hours vary, some weekends required.
- High school graduate or GED plus some outdoor work experience. Ability to use common gardening and hand tools. Ability to perform physical labor under various climate conditions for extended periods. Ability to bend and kneel for extended periods. Ability to use a backpack blower and string trimmer for extended periods. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Interact with staff, volunteers, and public in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Individual will assist the horticulture department with all aspects of nature trail and horticulture exhibit maintenance, including but not limited to; mulching, maintaining, and weeding plant and shrub beds, lawn areas, and walkways; pruning and trimming trees and shrubs; planting, raking, collecting and removing debris; operation of lawn mower, leaf blower, and weed eater. Loading and unloading tools, equipment, soil, gravel, and sand for project assignments; maintaining plants in an indoor environment; storm damage cleanup, and other horticultural duties as required.
- Have a general knowledge of horticulture practices and a desire to learn. Knowledge of native Virginia plants is desirable, but not required. Horticulture experience is a plus.
- How to Apply:
- Please send a resume and cover letter to Dustie Bourgeois, Horticulturist by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or postal mail to Virginia Aquarium 717 General Booth Boulevard Virginia Beach, VA 23451.