Your outgoing personality is the perfect fit for this position! Work on the front lines greeting and directing Aquarium guests.
- Greet and direct visitors.
- Answer visitor questions and provide accurate information about Aquarium services and events.
- Monitor activities at assigned areas for traffic flow and safety.
- Must be at least 15 years old.
- Comfortable standing and wearing a face covering for an extended period.
- Exceptional people skills.
- Must be outgoing and personable. A pleasant disposition is required.
- Must be comfortable with crowds.
- Ability to work cohesively with others and with minimum supervision.
This position requires a weekly 3½ to 4-hour shift. Volunteer must be available at least nine weeks between June and August. This is a summer position with the option to volunteer during the school year.Interview
In place of onsite interviews, we are accepting video submissions for this position. Interviews can be recorded on your cell phone or tablet and turned in via email with your application packet to
Read and follow the instructions noted below for your video submission:
- Each video should be 5 – 7 minutes.
- Wear a mask during your recording. We want to be sure you can communicate clearly while wearing a mask.
- Introduce yourself. Give your first and last name and two fun facts about you.
- Share why you want to be a Guest Engagement Ambassador at the Virginia Aquarium.
- Tell us about any experience you might have giving directions or showing someone around. For example, it can be introducing a new student to classmates or giving them a tour of the school.
- With the permission of your parent(s), give us a tour of a room in your home or your back yard. Choose an area and tell us a little about it.
Example – "The area to the left is where we all meet for family game night."
- Present to the camera as if you are sharing information or giving directions to an Aquarium visitor. Tell us fun, interesting facts about the area. Be engaging; have fun.
- If your interview file is too large to send in an email, provide a link to YouTube or something such as Google Drive.
*If your application is mailed, faxed, or hand delivered, you must include the link to your interview video in a cover letter accompanying your application packet. Applications received without the interview will not be considered.
- Online Orientation – If accepted, instructions will be included in your welcome email.
- General Orientation is offered on the following dates. If accepted, details will be included in your welcome email:
- Saturday, April 10, 2021
- Monday, April 12, 2021
- Tuesday, April 13, 2021
- Tuesday, May 4, 2021
- Thursday, May 6, 2021
- Saturday, May 8, 2021
- Aquarium Guest Experience staff will provide customer service and training specific to the volunteer position.
A Guest Engagement Ambassador application packet must include the following:
- Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center youth application form. Click here for the application.
- The application form must be typed or printed legibly with blue or black ink; no pencil.
- The completed application must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Two letters of recommendation are required. Follow recommendation instructions noted on the cover page.
- An interview video submission.
- A valid email address is required on the application; communication is done primarily via email.
- Remember, incomplete application packets are not considered.