Mentoring Young Scientists (MYS)
A Science Enrichment Program for Middle School Students
Mentoring Young Scientists is a grant-funded program that gives 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students who have a passion for science and nature the opportunity to study the marine environment. The MYS program year runs October-May with a total of 20 activity sessions during the year.
- Exploring the marine environment through boat excursions, beach walks, and seining trips
- Conducting experiments and observational studies
- Meeting scientists and visiting research labs
- Participating in recycling and shoreline clean-up projects
- Sharing information about the marine environment with Aquarium visitors
- Keeping a photo journal of the year's adventures
Twenty students are selected annually in September through an application and interview process. To learn more about the MYS program, contact Jovonne Vrechek at (757) 385-0331 or JVrechek@VirginiaAquarium.com.
A Science Enrichment Program for Teens
We’re looking for rising 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students with a passion for science and nature to join the Marsh Ambassadors team at the Aquarium. Participants will become experts on Owls Creek, the salt marsh, and the surrounding watershed through a day-long field experience and two follow-up sessions in the Marsh Pavilion.
- Exploring the marsh and creek through a kayaking trip with Wild River Outfitters
- Studying salt marsh plants and animals
- Conducting experiments and observations about the dynamics of watersheds
- Participating in a mark-recapture experiment to estimate a population of periwinkle snails
- Sharing information about watersheds with Aquarium visitors
- Creating photo displays about the Marsh Ambassador experience
Twenty students will be selected for the 2015 Marsh Ambassadors team through an application and interview process. Interested students should apply by June 17, 2015. To learn more about Marsh Ambassadors, contact the Youth Programs Team at (757) 385-0278 or Programs@VirginiaAquarium.com.
MAD about Marine Debris
We’re looking for rising 6th through 12th grade students with a passion for science and nature to join the MAD about Marine Debris team at the Aquarium. Participants will learn about the hazards of marine debris through a hands-on workshop and 3 kayaking trips with the staff from the Virginia Aquarium and Wild River Outfitters.
- Participate in a hands-on marine debris workshop
- Clean up marine debris from local waterways during three kayaking trips
- Share your knowledge about marine debris with Virginia Aquarium guests
Twenty students will be selected for the 2015 MAD team and interested students should apply by June 17, 2015. To learn more about MAD about Marine Debris, contact the Youth Programs Team at (757) 385-0278 or Programs@VirginiaAquarium.com.
Thank you to our sponsors