Mentoring Young Scientists (MYS)
A Science Enrichment Program for Middle School Students
Mentoring Young Scientists is a grant-funded program that gives 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students who have a passion for science and nature the opportunity to study the marine environment. The MYS program year runs October-May with a total of 20 activity sessions during the year.
- Exploring the marine environment through boat excursions, beach walks, and seining trips
- Conducting experiments and observational studies
- Meeting scientists and visiting research labs
- Participating in recycling and shoreline clean-up projects
- Sharing information about the marine environment with Aquarium visitors
- Keeping a photo journal of the year's adventures
Twenty students are selected annually in September through an application and interview process. To learn more about the MYS program, contact Jovonne Vrechek at 757-385-0331 or JVrechek@VirginiaAquarium.com.
A Science Enrichment Program for Teens
We're looking for teens ages 13 to 18 with a passion for science and nature to join the Marsh Ambassadors team at the Aquarium. Participants will become experts on Owls Creek, the salt marsh, and the surrounding watershed through a day-long field experience and two follow-up sessions in the Marsh Pavilion.
- Exploring the marsh and creek through a kayaking trip with Wild River Outfitters
- Studying salt marsh plants and animals
- Conducting experiments and observations about the dynamics of watersheds
- Participating in a mark-recapture experiment to estimate a population of periwinkle snails
- Sharing information about watersheds with Aquarium visitors
- Creating photo displays about the Marsh Ambassador experience
Twenty-five students will be selected for the 2014 Marsh Ambassadors team through an application and interview process. Interested students should apply by May 1, 2014. To learn more about Marsh Ambassadors, contact Jovonne Vrechek at 757-385-0331 or JVrechek@VirginiaAquarium.com.
Thank you to our sponsors