Venture out on an Aquarium boat trip to experience the marine environment first-hand! Trips are offered seasonally and are available for individuals as well as for groups. For more information on days, times, and ticket prices, call the Guest Services Office at (757) 385-0300.
December 27, 2013 - March 16, 2014
Take a two and a half hour adventure to search for humpback whales, fin whales, and other wildlife that visit the Virginia Beach coast during the winter. Experienced educators provide interpretation, describe current research conducted by the Aquarium, and answer questions during the trip.
Fee: $28 Adults; $24 Children ages 4-11
Notes: Winter Wildlife trips depart from the Virginia Beach Fishing Center (VBFC) at Rudee Inlet. Make advance reservations through the Guest Services Office at the Aquarium, or purchase tickets at VBFC starting one hour before trip departures.
2014 Winter Wildlife Trip Days and Times:
- Dec 27-29 at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Dec 30-31 at 2 p.m.
- Jan 3-March 16 on Thur. and Fri at 2 p.m.; Sat at 9 a.m., noon, and 3 p.m.; Sun at noon and 3 p.m.
- Jan 20 and Feb 17 (Holiday Mondays) at 9 a.m., noon, and 3 p.m.
April 5 through October 13, 2014
Observe bottlenose dolphins and their dynamic behaviors during a 90-minute excursion on the Atlantic Ocean. Experienced educators provide interpretation, describe current research conducted by the Aquarium, and answer questions during the trip.
Fee: $21 Adults; $16 Children ages 4-11
Notes: Dolphin Watching trips depart from the Virginia Beach Fishing Center (VBFC) at Rudee Inlet. Purchase tickets at VBFC starting one hour before trip departures, or purchase a trip voucher with admission to the Aquarium.
April 5 through October 13, 2014
Explore Owls Creek and the surrounding marsh during a 30-minute cruise focused on salt marsh ecology. Because of the calm conditions and short duration, this trip is a great "first boat experience" for young children.
Fee: $5 Members; $5 Non-members with Aquarium Admission; $7 Non-members for cruise only
Notes: Creek Cruises depart from the Virginia Aquarium dock located next to the Bay & Ocean Pavilion parking lot. Purchase tickets at the Aquarium admission counter. Tickets are not sold at the dock.
June 27 through August 29, 2014 (school charters available fall and spring)
Discover what lives in our coastal waters during a 75-minute trawl trip to collect fish, invertebrates, and plankton. Ocean Collections provides the most "hands-on" experience of the Aquarium's four boat trips.
Fee: $ 19 Adults; $14 Children ages 4-11
Notes: Ocean Collections trips depart from the Virginia Beach Fishing Center (VBFC) at Rudee Inlet. Make advance reservations through the Guest Services Office, or purchase tickets at VBFC starting one hour before departure. These trips are offered on selected Fridays in the summer.
2014 Group Pricing for Boat Trips
Group pricing is available for groups of 15 or more. Choose to charter the boat just for your organization, or reserve space on a public trip.
- Group Charter: $900 for 50 people; Additional adults $23; Additional children $18
- Group tickets for public trip: $23, Adults; $18, Children ages 4-11
- Group Charter: $625 for 50 people; Additional Adults $18; Additional Children $13
- Group tickets for public trip: $18 Adults; $13 Children ages 4-11
- Group Charter: Schools $200 for 50 people; Businesses and other organizations $300 for 50 people
- Group tickets for public trip: $5 per person
- Group Charter: $625 for 50 people; Additional adults $18; Additional children $13
- Group tickets for public trip: $18 Adults; $13 Children
Information about boats and trip conditions:
- All boats are inspected by the U.S. Coast Guard and owned by Rudee Tours.
- All captains are licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard and employed by Rudee Tours.
- Interpretation is provided by educators and volunteers from the Virginia Aquarium.
- Trips may be canceled due to insufficient ticket sales or rough seas. Call the Guest Services Office to confirm the status of trips.
- Whale and dolphin sightings are not guaranteed.
- The boats have bathrooms on board. Snacks and drinks are available for purchase on Dolphin Watching, Winter Wildlife, and Ocean Collections trips.
- Dress for the weather of the day, including rain if in the forecast. Although all boats have sheltered areas, you will need to be on the outside deck to see the animals.
- For Winter Wildlife trips, it can be much colder out on the water than on land. Please dress appropriately.